Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
March 22nd, 2009 by Temple City Tribune
Glenn Box came to Monrovia in 1921. He took over the jewelry portion of Dr. W. G. Barks’ business. Now, almost 88 years later, Boxx Jewelers is closing. There is, however, good news. The clock in front of the store was deeded over to the Monrovia Old House Preservation Group several years ago. The clock has received Historic Designation Status and will remain.
Box himself (note only one X at that time) came from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. After serving in the First World War (the one that was supposed to end all wars) he moved west to Monrovia. He was active in the community joining the Chamber of Commerce, the Elks Lodge, the American Legion and the Masons. He was even a charter member of the Monrovia Rotary Club. In 1931, Box moved the store to its current location.
He was always active in the store and it was no surprise that upon his retirement he turned the store over to his son-in-law, Shields Krutzsch. Krutzsch, a native Monrovian, was married to Betty Zoe Box, Glenn’s only child. They ran the store until the late 1960s when it was sold to Sam Silverman.
Sam and his wife, Jeaneane worked together to run the store. He was the up front man and she did the office work. According to Jeaneane she preferred the behind the scenes activities, leaving the salesmanship to her husband.
Several years ago at the celebration of the anniversary of a long time employee, someone mentioned that the family name of the original owner was De Boxx and “Sam liked the way it looked” according to Jeaneane and so the additional X was added to the name.
Two years ago Sam Silverman passed away. Jeaneane says that it is time to retire and enjoy her family. And so an era is ending.
BY SUSAN MOTANDER